Sketching can serve the artist several purposes such as recording somthing that inspired him, getting an idea of how something will look or just having some fun sketching things.
The basics :
1. Getting the right materials.
2. Choosing your subject.
3. Don’t draw too heavily.
4. Gesture drawing.
1. Geting the right materials: is crusial to good sketching. It’s really difficult to sketch using poor quality or wrong materials. And It’s easy to find all the prper sketching materials, so find an art store and gather all the right materials, wich are : good quality pencils and fine art paper.
There are 2 types of good quality pencils (H and B pencils):
The H pencil (the hardest pencil) is used for thin and straight line. It’s used for architecture and business sketches.
The B pencil (the softest pencil) is used for drawing smudged and blurry lines, and also for shading the sketches.
Using fine art paper helps your sketches look amazing. Enen though sketching on regular paper may be easy but it’s thin and doesn’t hold the pencil as well.
2. Choosing your subject. It’s hard for a biginner to sketch using his immagination , and it’s easy for him to sketch from a live model (as you probbly saw this many times on movies) or from an image.
Choose your subject and take few minutes to study it and befor you beggin sketchin pay attention to these things:
Pay attention to primary shapes because every object is made up of the basic shapes (circle, square, tiangle…). So look for those shapes that underlay your subject and draw these first.
3. Don’t draw too heavily. When you start drawing your sketch Use a light hand and try lots of short/quick strokes. This technique will make it easier to control well your sketching. It’s will also give you the advantage of erasing any mistake easly.
4. Gesture drawing. Determaning the basic forms in your drawinging is important to good sketching. So try doing a gesture drawing wich consist of using contnuous movments and conected lines to drawc subject, without ever looking at your paper. Although it sounds difficult, it can help you improve your sketching.
Good Luck Sketching.